The entire application process begins with the completion of the UIC Online Graduate College Application. The department will not be aware of an applicants intentions of applying until this step is completed.
For consideration for admission to the PhD in Social Work Program, you must be admitted to both the UIC Graduate College and the Jane Addams College of Social Work Doctoral Program. To complete the necessary applications, all of the following materials should be electronically submitted via the UIC Graduate Application Document Upload process :
- A UIC Graduate College Admission Application
- A fillable Jane Addams College of Social Work Ph.D. Program Application (including section listing employment references).
To download the application in PDF format, please be sure that you have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you need to download the Reader program, click the Reader icon.
Select "save as" from the computer's file menu, save the document. on the desktop and submit the pdf. application form as an attachment directly through the UIC Graduate Application Document Upload Process.
- ALL DOCUMENTS SENT TO THE UIC GRADUATE UPLOAD PROCESS SYSTEM MUST BE IN PDF. FORMAT .
- A detailed Personal Statement of Intent (item VII on JACSW Application) that clearly indicates:
- Your reasons for applying for the doctoral program
- Your professional objectives and plans, and how the doctoral degree would contribute to them
- A discussion of the fit between your objectives and the mission of the Jane Addams College of Social Work
- Your proposed area of specialization
- An indication of the related social science field in which study would likely be undertaken, and
- Your research interests
(This statement should be a very accurate reflection of your interests and plans and should be very thoughtfully prepared, since it will receive major consideration in the admissions decision.) should be submitted electronically via the UIC Graduate Application Document Upload process .
- Writing sample(s) (See section VI of JACSW application) should be submitted electronically through the online UIC Graduate Admissions application upload document process.
- Official copies of all college and university transcripts, sent directly from the institutions attended (including UIC if applicable)
- Four letters of reference, which should to be electronically submitted through the online UIC Graduate Application document upload process to the College by the person indicated as a recommender. At least one should be from an academic reference, and at least one from a recent supervisor, if possible. (Do not use relatives.) Reference letters should address the applicant's readiness and potential for scholarship at the doctoral level; commitment to social work and the social, racial, and economic justice mission of Jane Addams College; and personal, professional, and intellectual qualities important to success in the program.
- Examination scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), submitted directly to the University. Applicants from countries in which English is not the native language must also submit TOEFL scores (code 1851-5001).
- A $70 non-refundable application fee for domestic and international applicants to the University of Illinois at Chicago. Using the on-line Graduate College application, you will be given the option of paying your fee by Visa or MasterCard.
ALL DOCUMENTS SENT TO THE UIC GRADUATE UPLOAD PROCESS SYSTEM MUST BE IN PDF. FORMAT. PLEASE INFORM YOUR REFERENCES.
For early fellowship consideration, please make sure we have received all materials by December 15. The final deadline for applications to be considered for the current year is February 15. Admission decisions are ordinarily made by April 1. All of the above should be electroncally submitted through:
THE UIC GRADUATE UPLOAD PROCESS